Blessed (11/26/2019)

Dear friends and family,

I met an apostle of Jesus Christ this week. I don't have the picture he took with the mission yet so if/when I get that I'll send it. (Provided they get it to us within the next two weeks.)

On Saturday we arrived at the church building where it was to take place. This was the entire mission meeting in one location, which never happens unless an apostle visits. We were told that Elder Uchtdorf was in a meeting with the mission leadership so we quietly gathered in the gym to line up for a photo. We got lined up and arranged for the picture waiting for a while as more missionaries filed in and we awaited the Uchtdorfs. Finally I spotted Sister Uchtdorf walking in and going near to her seat. I don't know how many people recognized her--we don't usually see her, just her husband. A few moments later Elder Uchtdorf strode in and everybody went dead silent. He said something like "I've looked all over the building for my wife, and she's already here!"

It was unreal seeing Elder Uchtdorf standing there. After a bit he sat down for the picture, we took it, and then he and Sister Uchtdorf went to stand by the door and we all got to shake their hands for a brief moment before heading into the chapel for the rest of the conference. Before I knew it I was there before him. He gave me thanks for my service and I just said "thank you" in response. As I walked into the chapel and sat down I reflected on how I felt like I was literally in the presence of someone holy. I could only imagine if I felt like that waiting to see and then actually seeing an apostle, what will we feel like at the judgment bar?

He spoke for a while. I should have taken better notes but I forgot a pen and didn't want to pull my phone out during the event. Sister Uchtdorf spoke a bit about having healthy self-esteem and starting your days off by looking in the mirror to tell yourself it's going to be a great day. She also used a nutcracker (they just recently decorated their home, you see) as an analogy for the things that help us crack those who are tough nuts to crack in missionary-work.

Then Elder Uchtdorf spoke and as you know he is very a kind and generous  and funny man. But he was a little different from General Conference--I suspect everybody you see up there is. Nobody acts like that all the time! He was a little more instructional and direct. Still Elder Uchtdorf of course (there was a small tidbit about planes considering this is Ohio, the birthplace of aviation), but a little more down-to-business.

One thing I really liked that he said is that we need to share the simple, effective standards that we have in the gospel, such as those found in For the Strength of Youth. People are looking for a way to keep their family grounded in something, and we have it! These standards really work! They're divinely inspired! We need to help people see how the gospel has truly changed our lives.

It should come as no surprise but I definitely got the impression that he really knows his stuff. Haha! He really understands the gospel, why it's valuable, how to live it, and how to explain that to others. Definitely built my confidence in the leadership of the Church.

He left us with an apostlic blessing to finish our missions with joy and blessings on our family, friends, and those we are concerned about, that they will be blessed in their challenges.

It was certainly the highlight of the week, if not the month or more than that. I am very grateful for the blessed opportunity.

Here's to two more weekly emails.

Love,
Elder Gallagher

PICS: I reveal my true identity, and a group picture of our now-defunct district

P.S. Oh yeah I forgot to say, our district is now defunct...because some people are getting transferred. Not me though! I'm actually staying in Mansfield but Elder Cox is leaving to Solon and I'm going to be in a trio for two weeks with an Elder Borden and Elder Schreiter, neither of whom am I yet acquainted with, though I've seen them around. It's going to be a good finish!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Chapter (12/2/2019)

Some Weird Diversion (11/26/2018)

Incredible News (11/4/2019)